Check out what we have in store for you in the August Newsletter
This month’s HCV Advocate newsletter has the following important information for every patient with hepatitis C:
- HCV Drugs by Alan Franciscus – Epclusa was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in June 2016. Why is this combination the best HCV drug yet approved for all genotypes? Read this article to find out about Epclusa and information about other drugs being developed to treat hepatitis C.
- HealthWise by Lucinda K. Porter, RN – Hepatitis C Treatment: Getting It and Paying for It – Lucinda discusses how to access treatment – the most important component – don’t give up — and access the options Lucinda discusses in her article.
- Health Literacy and Hepatitis C by Matthew Zielske — Matthew discusses the importance of conveying health messages in a meaningful and understandable way that all of us can understand.
- SnapShots by Alan Franciscus-I discuss two important studies—one is about the importance of treating people 55, 65 and 70 yo and older and the safety of treating people with sofosbuvir-containing therapies on hemodialysis—a machine that helps to filter blood when the kidneys are not working normally.
- The PROP UP Study by Alan Franciscus –an important PCORI study that is recruiting patients to understand certain outcomes from antiviral treatment. I am part of the study and I want to encourage people to enroll. More information is included in the newsletter. People who enroll in the study can earn up to $155.00 by answer survey questions on the phone or by email.
- What’s Up!
- Check out our recently reviewed and updated fact sheets –Acute HCV and HCV Genotype, Quasi-Species and Subtype
- Be sure to check out our new HCV Medications Blog that lists all of the direct-acting antiviral medications including the newly approved Epclusa
- We have provided a link to the new Google web service that provides tools to register to vote and to find out if you are already registered to vote. The national election is important but equally important are your local and regional elections.
- HCV Advocate Monthly Drug Pipeline Update by Alan Franciscus – I have updated our HCV Drug pipeline to include the latest information about drugs in development to treat hepatitis C including the drugs that have entered into phase 3 clinical development.
Alan and the staff of the HCV Advocate
Get tested, Get Treated, Get Cured