This was another incredible week with news about hepatitis C. The most important news item was the press release from Tibotec announcing the start of phase III studies of their once-a-day dose of TMC-435—an HCV protease inhibitor. Stay tuned for information about this drug – in addition to the once-a-day dosing the preliminary data from the phase II studies looks very promising.
2. In addition to the Tibotec news you might want to check out what others are reading about hepatitis B and hepatitis C. The Top Ten English and Spanish fact sheets include Acetaminophen and Your Liver, Short Term Disability, and more. On the HBV Advocate the Top Ten includes How to Interpret Hepatitis B Antibody and Viral Tests, Hepatitis B Antigen and Antibody Tests and many more.
3. Jacques Chambers monthly column is on “Taxation of Disability Benefits” – a must read if you are paying into disability and want to make sure you are reporting the income correctly.
4. Centerforce in cooperation with San Quentin and prison peer educators have produced three videos titled “Mythbusters, which you can find on our Patient Education page under streaming videos.” Feel free to pass these around to other prisons that are educating peers about hepatitis C.
5. Our HCSP Training Calendar has been updated through April 2011. If you are interested in attending one of our trainings the flyers will soon be available for the confirmed dates and locations so that you can find out more information on how to register.
6. Lastly, the CDC in cooperation with AASLD is sponsoring a Hepatitis Single Topic Conference on June 4-5, 2011 in Atlanta, GA. The conference topic is “Chronic Viral Hepatitis Strategies to Improve Effectiveness of Screening and Treatment.”
Don’t forget to keep checking out our blog for more about the most recent news stories.
Executive Director, Hepatitis C Support Project
Editor-in-Chief, HCV Advocate www.hcvadvocate.org
Editor-in-Chief, HBV Advocate www.hbvadvocate.org
**Questions and Comments: Questions and/or comments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
**To receive the eblast in your email inbox simply send an e-mail to: email@example.com with nothing in the subject line and the following in the message body: subscribe emailalert. Make sure your email address is all lower case.