The staff of HCSP/HCV Advocate sincerely hopes that you enjoyed July 4, 2011! We would like to salute the men and women who serve in the armed forces for their sacrifices that allow us all to celebrate our independence day. I would also like to draw your attention to the newly posted items to our website:
HCV Advocate Newsletter:
In This Issue
- The New HCV Epidemic? Alan Franciscus, Editor-in-Chief – Read about a wave of new HCV infections in Massachusetts among 15-24 year olds. Is this just the tip of the iceberg of a potentially national new epidemic of HCV infections?
- Quick Facts about the PI's Alan Franciscus, Editor-in-Chief – Important information for people who are starting the new HCV protease inhibitor triple therapy and their caregivers.
- HealthWise: Resisting Resistance Lucinda K. Porter, RN – Lucinda explains resistance and steps to prevent it from occurring.
- HCV Snapshots Lucinda K. Porter, RN – Lucinda writes about a variety of news stories related to hepatitis C including telaprevir and viral load decline, a brief synopsis of the DHHS plan to combat HCV, and much, much more.
- The Next Wave(s) Alan Franciscus, Editor-in-Chief- In this article I provide a brief overview of clinical trials of the different types of direct acting antivirals, questions to consider when enrolling in a trial and a brief list of some of the most interesting trials that are being conducted. This will be a new monthly column that will discuss some of the more interesting clinical trials available for people with hepatitis C.
HBV Journal Review:
Christine M. Kukka writes the following stories about hepatitis B:
- Researchers Urge CDC to Screen More Adults for Hepatitis B
- Some People Have a Genetic Susceptibility to Cirrhosis
- Some Dietary Supplements Cause Liver Damage
- Antiviral Treatment Markedly Improves Survival after Liver Cancer Surgery
- Blood Tests May Accurately Identify When Treatment Is Needed –Bypassing Biopsies
- Lamivudine-Resistant Patients Fare Slightly Better When Treated with Interferon Than Adefovir
HBV and HCV Blog:
Read about the latest and greatest in the news
Executive Director, Hepatitis C Support Project
Editor-in-Chief, HCV Advocate www.hcvadvocate.org
Editor-in-Chief, HBV Advocate www.hbvadvocate.org
**Questions and Comments: Questions and/or comments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
**To receive the eblast in your email inbox simply send an e-mail to: email@example.com with nothing in the subject line and the following in the message body: subscribe emailalert. Make sure your email address is all lower case.